Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Performance Issues Resolved

Recently i notice that page loading were getting slower and slower (up to 5 seconds for a page to load during peak hours). When checking the server logs I did not notice any high CPU usage. When coming back from lunch today, I realize that I have done zero optimization to my database. Database optimization is not a big deal when your are only dealing with a couple hundred rows of data, but when you get into the thousands you start to see a degrade in performance.

I have done some simple optimization to the myVidster's mySQL tables. Simple stuff like adding indexs and running the OPTIMIZE command on the tables. I also setup a nightly cron job to optimize my index files for video searching (Zend Lucene).

The final result was page load times and search gain a 2x to 3x boost! Hopefully the performance issues did not cause me to lose any users.

4 comments:

Mharish said...

Excellent and decent post. I found this much informative. I'm impressed by the details that you have on this web site. Thank you for this post. - packers and movers marathahalli

JANA GANGA said...

Life Coach in Chennai

Anonymous said...


Blue waffles
Blue waffles disease
Blue waffles pictures
How do you get blue waffles
Blue waffles symptoms, causes, prevention

Oliver Maurice said...

You definitely need to read this article about yahoo messenger spy applications to get all the news about the subject and spy applications in general