Recently i notice that page loading were getting slower and slower (up to 5 seconds for a page to load during peak hours). When checking the server logs I did not notice any high CPU usage. When coming back from lunch today, I realize that I have done zero optimization to my database. Database optimization is not a big deal when your are only dealing with a couple hundred rows of data, but when you get into the thousands you start to see a degrade in performance.
I have done some simple optimization to the myVidster's mySQL tables. Simple stuff like adding indexs and running the OPTIMIZE command on the tables. I also setup a nightly cron job to optimize my index files for video searching (Zend Lucene).
The final result was page load times and search gain a 2x to 3x boost! Hopefully the performance issues did not cause me to lose any users.